Women's Hoops Coverage Lacking

5,509 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Sage Griot
Terpfvr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I wonder if it is a lack of resources which necessitates the dearth of coverage in the area of recruiting, etc as is done in football and men's bb coverage. Such areas as development of recruiting contacts, visits both on and off campus.etc etc would be of interest to fans of Maryland's more consistently successful bb team. I recognize that this incarnation of Terrapin Times is new. However, that does not preclude the inclusion of such material in this version as such development was lacking in the initial version.
terps81
I am not sure Keith would be willing to say this but Brenda keeps recruiting pretty close. I would love to have a recruiting board like the guys but it might be hard to get information to fill it.
MarylandMagic
Brenda seems to have a different philosophy than Turgeon in recruiting. He seems to throw a lot of offers out to a lot of different players. She pursues a smaller pool that she thinks fit the program. You can often see the lineage of the program in players, because they sort of fit the profile of players that came before.

The other part of that is the depth of talent on the men's side is far greater than the women's game. You won't see a Damian Lillard (Weber State), Steph Curry (Davidson) very often on the women's side. By that I mean elite talent that ended up at mid-majors and become NBA All-Stars.

In general, in recruiting, you're not going to land a high percentage of prospects pursued.
Terpfvr
What you say regarding my inquiry meshes with my experience with the program. Solid citizens, unified teammates are the norm. The only time you may become aware of recruiting activity is when a prospect makes a visit to a game. I was hoping for more coverage of the chase and the activities behind the hunt. Thanks for your input.

To be honest I am familiar with the recruitment of female bb players having been an AAU coach at one time. I was smart enough to have a number of players sufficiently talented to go on to college ball and a few in the early women's pro leagues. Occasionally I long for the intricacies of the game.
Terrapinlifer
Women's basketball gets a bad rap in general in the media. I enjoy watching the women's game more than the men since there is considerably more teamwork, better fundamentals and players working hard most of the time. The men's game is more one on one (especially in NBA) and oftentimes fundamentals and defense are neglected in lieu of "highlight" type plays (dunking, one on one moves, etc). Many people compare women's basketball vs the men,...but why can't they just stop the comparisons and enjoy watching the great game of women's b'ball? There are many women's players that are very talented and have worked very hard in their craft.... and it shows on the court.

I wish the media would place more attention to the women's game. With more attention, the sport would pick up momentum in terms of interest and things like more information on women's recruiting would become very accessible for the fan. Since almost all women's college basketball players play all four years in school before entering the WNBA, it gives the fan a chance to follow these athletes growth throughout their college careers and thus bring a familiarity to the general public- like college used to be in the men's game years ago (before many now bolt for professional leagues).

My daughter is a D3 college basketball player and I have been fortunate enough to witness many competitive and entertaining games at that level. It's good ball and a shame more people don't realize what they are missing.
MarylandMagic
Good stuff! The first thing is people can't watch women's basketball expecting it to look like men's basketball. Two different games. After attending a few women's games, your brain starts to adjust to see it for itself and you find it's great competition. We are fortunate we have had very good women's teams to watch.

terps81
I wish we had someone to give us some regular cover like Dave does in football and Dan in men's basketball. I know football season is just starting but basketball season is not far behind.
MarylandMagic
I'm not always available as my work keeps me busy, but I will try to talk Terps when I can. Anything especially interesting to you?

terps81
We get so little that I am grateful for anything. The progress of our many new players would be one interesting topic.
Terpfvr
Why should you have to "settle" for crumbs about one of the premier teams in the country? At the least there should be recruiting news etc on all of the women's teams-especially those such as lacrosse , bb, field hockey which are among the best in the country and whose coaches and players are routinely listed as AA's and hof'rs.
Such coverage is provided in the TT magazine to some degree and would be a draw to others if a available on this site.
If I can be proven to be wrong i can accept that. But at least an effort should be made to expand coverage to ALL Terp fans.
Sage Griot
Sorry to say....there just is not enough interest (e.g. money to be made). Even though some of us love the game, there are not enough. Look how empty the stands are.

I do agree the program needs to do more to self promote. I wish they had more reliable live game broadcast. I sometimes hear home games in the restroom at xfinity center but it's impossible to find reliable broadcast schedule info. The broadcast is excellent too!

I've never heard the local broadcasters on any road game....I just listened to the Belmont broadcast for the Daytona Invitational.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.