Good WNBA All-Star Game for Terps

2,677 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Terrapinlifer
MarylandMagic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Kristi Toliver and Alyssa Thomas, two all-time Maryland greats, both showed well in the WNBA All-Star game on Saturday. Their team lost, 129-126, but KT had 16 points and nine assists and AT had eight points, five rebounds and four assists.

KT was deadly from deep, as we are so used to seeing. AT did her work in the paint. I also think AT is among the most devastating players in transition in the WNBA. She's incredible- just as she was in college. One thing she was allowed to do at Maryland- grab the rebound and run the break- still works in the WNBA.

terps81
This could not have been said better.
Terrapinlifer
Speaking of the WNBA... I was sad to see the Mystics move to the new gym in SE. Leonsis has apparently given up on the franchise by moving to a gym that holds only 4,000. The Mystics averaged approximately 7,000 last season. In my opinion, the move out to SE isn't going to draw well and will soon put a nail in the coffin for the franchise. It's a shame too since I was out at the Eagle Bank Arena on the George Mason campus for the final series against Seattle last year and saw almost 10,000 crazy and invested fans cheering their heads off. Sadly, playing in a gym that has a capacity of many area high school gyms and being so far away from the downtown area is turning its back on any growth of women's basketball
MarylandMagic
I have mixed emotions. The arena is not in the greatest location, but it does make for a better atmosphere. I know the Mystics would say they averaged 7k fans in Verizon Center, but I never felt like that number was legit. Having gone to multiple games, it usually seemed like a lot less.

Terrapinlifer
The attendance listed for teams in ALL sports is inflated, it's not just women's basketball.

As for the location, I was trying to be light on my comment about where the new arena is located, but that location is going to be the final dagger for the Mystics. Families with young children aren't going to go to night games there. I know that area has improved from many years ago, but it has a ways to go to gain the trust of the general public. I would bet the Metro ridership to the Mystics games has fallen by a huge amount.

Leonsis messed with this franchise. I know the WNMA has had struggles, but I really feel they could have a viable run in the future if they had not moved their arena to its current location. Anyone that witnessed the playoff games last year at the Smith Center or Eagle Bank Arena would agree with me. There was a buzz. The other problem the Mystics have to contend with is this area's public perception of women's basketball. The media beats them up all the time and the Mystics organization just lets them run right over them. Damn shame!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.